A Guide To Form 990 For Tax-Exempt Organizations

What is Form 990? Although many nonprofit organizations are exempt from paying federal taxes, the IRS requires tax-exempt organizations to file Form 990 for informational purposes. The IRS uses this informational return to determine whether you're still exempt from...

5 Critical Tax Tips For Nonprofits in 2019

No one enjoys filing taxes, but it can be especially problematic for nonprofits. Many nonprofits focus on their cause so much that they neglect proper organization. As a result, they deal with disorganized records and systems, and a lack of clarity around tax issues....


For a business owner, taxes can be overwhelming and cumbersome. Tax deductions allow you to save thousands of dollars each year on your taxes and make tax filing a much more bearable experience. In this post, we'll list some of the tax deductions you can use to...

The Smart Business Owner’s List Of Tax Credits

One of the best ways to cut costs as a business owner is to take advantage of all the tax deductions and tax credits for which you're eligible. As a business owner, you're concerned with the bottom line--increasing your net profits. That probably means you spend most...

PRESS RELEASE: Cassidy Jakovickas, CPA of Fresno, CA Appointed to Intuit’s Accountant Council

Select Panel Advises on Products and Services that Accountants and Their Clients Want Most             FRESNO, CALIFORNIA – June 4, 2019 –Today, Intuit, Inc (Nasdaq: INTU) announced that Cassidy...

Beyond The Numbers: What We’ve Been Reading

Although our team loves using numbers and spreadsheets to help our clients make the best financial decisions, we also enjoy reading great books. Staying well read on both fiction and non-fiction books helps us hone our imagination and introduces us to new, sometimes...

Looking Back At April

It’s hard to believe that we’re at the end of April, but it’s true! This month, we helped our clients wrap up another great (and busy) tax season. There was, as always, a lot of paperwork, emails, and nail-biting involved in the days preceding April 15, but that’s all...

5 Last-Minute Tips For Filing Taxes in 2019

Well, April 15 is almost here, and the tax-related panic is thick. If you haven’t filed your 2018 tax paperwork and are rushing to get your taxes in by the deadline, we’ve decided to give you some last-minute tax advice that will hopefully help ease your stress....

An Introduction To Cybersecurity for Business Owners

Keeping your sensitive business and customer data secure has never been more critical. Whether you are a small business or a national corporation, you can't relax your defenses against those criminals seeking to take advantage of lazy cybersecurity policies. Virtually...

March News Roundup

Wow! It seems like we just started March and we’re already moving into April! As we move into the final stretch of tax season, we’re recapping this month’s news for you, just in case you missed it amid the tax-related hubbub. MBS Accountancy: November Review This...

How Does an IRA Affect Tax Returns?

Reading Time: 3 minutes


















Source: 401 (K) 2013


Individual retirement accounts encourage you to save up while you’re still working by offering tax incentives. Traditional IRAs offer tax-deferred growth, which offers better saving if you expect to pay a lower tax rate in retirement. Roth IRAs, on the other hand, offer after-tax savings, which gives more savings if you expect to pay a higher rate in retirement. The earnings in the Roth IRA will never show up on your tax return, because the profits are sheltered from tax.

Contribution Deduction

Your traditional IRA contributions must be reported on your tax return using either Form 1040 or Form 1040A. You’re always eligible to deduct your traditional IRA contributions, which reduces your taxable income, if neither you nor your spouse participates in an employer-sponsored retirement plan. If either of you does, you can still deduct your contribution if your modified adjusted gross income falls below the annual limits. These limits adjust each year and differ depending on your filing status. If in 2012 you are covered, the modified adjusted gross income limits are $68,000 if you’re single, $112,000 if you’re married filing jointly and $10,000 if you’re married filing separately. If only your spouse is covered and you file jointly, you can’t deduct any of your contribution if your modified adjusted gross income exceeds $183,000. If you file separately, it’s $10,000.
If you’re not sure if you’re a plan participant, look at the “Retirement Plan” box on your Form W-2: If the box is checked, you’re covered. Roth IRA contributions aren’t deductible, nor are they reported on your tax return.

Retirement Savings Credit

Both traditional and Roth IRA contributions can qualify for the retirement savings credit. The credit is on top of any deduction you get for contributing and can be as high as 50 percent of up to $2,000 of contributions, but your modified adjusted gross income must fall below the annual limits. For example, in 2012 you can claim a credit if you are single and your modified adjusted gross income is less than $57,500, if you’re married filing jointly and your modified adjusted gross income falls below $28,750, or if you’re head of household and your modified adjusted gross income falls below $43,125. In addition, you won’t get the credit if you’re a full-time student during any five months of the year, someone else claims you as their dependent or if you’re not at least 19 years old at the end of the year. If you qualify, you must file Form 8880 to claim the credit and the credit lowers your tax liability.

Traditional IRA Distributions

Traditional IRA distributions count as ordinary income when you take distributions, which must be included on your tax return, typically increaseing your taxable income. It’s all taxable unless you’ve made nondeductible contributions. If you’ve made nondeductible contributions to your traditional IRA, you’ll get a portion of your distribution out tax-free. The portion equals the percentage of nondeductible contributions in your account. For example, if 28 percent of your traditional IRA value is from nondeductible contributions and you withdraw $10,000, $2,800 comes out tax-free. If you do have nondeductible contributions, you must file Form 8606 to figure the taxable portion.

If you’re taking a withdrawal before you turn 59-1/2-years-old, you’ll also owe a 10 percent early withdrawal penalty on top of the ordinary income taxes. If an exception applies, you get out of the penalty, but not the income taxes. Either way, you have to file Form 5329 for any early traditional IRA distribution.

Roth IRA Distributions

Roth IRA distributions work a little differently on your taxes. If you take a qualified distribution, you still must report it on your tax return, but it won’t increase your taxes. Qualified Roth IRA distributions occur after the account has been open for five years and you are either 59-1/2-years-old, permanently disabled or taking out up to $10,000 as a first-time homebuyer.

Early Roth IRA distributions take out all your contributions first. Early withdrawals of contributions aren’t taxed or penalized, but must be reported on your tax return. Once you take out all your contributions, you start taking out earnings. Earnings count as taxable income and, unless an exception applies, you’ll also owe the 10 percent early withdrawal penalty. If you take an early distribution, you must include Form 8606. If any of the withdrawal includes earnings, you also must file Form 5329 to figure the penalty or report your exception.

Originally posted and shared from:, by Mark Kennan