A Guide To Form 990 For Tax-Exempt Organizations

What is Form 990? Although many nonprofit organizations are exempt from paying federal taxes, the IRS requires tax-exempt organizations to file Form 990 for informational purposes. The IRS uses this informational return to determine whether you're still exempt from...

5 Critical Tax Tips For Nonprofits in 2019

No one enjoys filing taxes, but it can be especially problematic for nonprofits. Many nonprofits focus on their cause so much that they neglect proper organization. As a result, they deal with disorganized records and systems, and a lack of clarity around tax issues....


For a business owner, taxes can be overwhelming and cumbersome. Tax deductions allow you to save thousands of dollars each year on your taxes and make tax filing a much more bearable experience. In this post, we'll list some of the tax deductions you can use to...

The Smart Business Owner’s List Of Tax Credits

One of the best ways to cut costs as a business owner is to take advantage of all the tax deductions and tax credits for which you're eligible. As a business owner, you're concerned with the bottom line--increasing your net profits. That probably means you spend most...

PRESS RELEASE: Cassidy Jakovickas, CPA of Fresno, CA Appointed to Intuit’s Accountant Council

Select Panel Advises on Products and Services that Accountants and Their Clients Want Most             FRESNO, CALIFORNIA – June 4, 2019 –Today, Intuit, Inc (Nasdaq: INTU) announced that Cassidy...

Beyond The Numbers: What We’ve Been Reading

Although our team loves using numbers and spreadsheets to help our clients make the best financial decisions, we also enjoy reading great books. Staying well read on both fiction and non-fiction books helps us hone our imagination and introduces us to new, sometimes...

Looking Back At April

It’s hard to believe that we’re at the end of April, but it’s true! This month, we helped our clients wrap up another great (and busy) tax season. There was, as always, a lot of paperwork, emails, and nail-biting involved in the days preceding April 15, but that’s all...

5 Last-Minute Tips For Filing Taxes in 2019

Well, April 15 is almost here, and the tax-related panic is thick. If you haven’t filed your 2018 tax paperwork and are rushing to get your taxes in by the deadline, we’ve decided to give you some last-minute tax advice that will hopefully help ease your stress....

An Introduction To Cybersecurity for Business Owners

Keeping your sensitive business and customer data secure has never been more critical. Whether you are a small business or a national corporation, you can't relax your defenses against those criminals seeking to take advantage of lazy cybersecurity policies. Virtually...

March News Roundup

Wow! It seems like we just started March and we’re already moving into April! As we move into the final stretch of tax season, we’re recapping this month’s news for you, just in case you missed it amid the tax-related hubbub. MBS Accountancy: November Review This...

Filing an Amended Tax Return

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Correcting Tax Mistakes Using Form 1040X








Source: 401 K (2013), Flickr.

It happens to the best of us. You gather all your tax documents, crunch the numbers, and double check everything on the tax return. No sooner have you dropped the return in the mail or pressed the efile button, but a new W2 or 1099 comes in the mail. Ah, now you remember. And now you need to revise your tax return.

Revising your tax return is done by filing an amendment. You need to use Form 1040X, along with a new Form 1040, plus any other necessary schedules and forms. Amended tax returns have to be mailed to the IRS on paper for manual processing. The IRS typically processes an amended return about 8 to 12 weeks, but this process can take longer during the IRS’s busiest times.

Why File an Amendment to Your Tax Return?

You should file an amended tax return if you need to correct any piece of information that will alter your tax calculations. You can use an amended return to make corrections to your filing status, dependents, income, deductions, or tax credits. For example, if you need to report additional income from a W-2 that arrived after you filed your original return, you’ll need to file an amendment. Similarly, if you need to remove dependents because you were not eligible to claim them, you should file an amendment.

You should not file an amended return if you are only correcting math errors as the IRS computers will check your math and correct any errors in calculation. Math errors are errors in adding or subtracting items on your tax return.

Be aware that you have three years to make any corrections that result in additional tax refunds. That’s because there’s a three-year statute of limitations on issuing tax refund checks. This three-year period is measured from the date you filed your original tax return. If you filed your return before April 15th, the three-year period begins from April 15th. If you requested an extension, the three-year period runs from October 15th (Internal Revenue Code section 6511(b)(2)(A)).

If you are beyond the three-year period, you can only receive refunds for overpaid taxes that were actually paid during the previous two years.

People who need to report additional income and to correct overstated deductions can file an amended return at any time. Be aware that the IRS has three-years to audit your tax return, and may have a longer period of time if there’s substantial under-reporting.

Reasons for filing an amendment include:

Claiming       additional dependents,

Removing     dependents you previously claimed,

Reporting      your proper filing status,

Reporting     additional income – from a W2, 1099, or other income statement,

Making         changes in your above-the-line deductions,

standard deduction or itemized deductions,

Changing      your personal exemptions,

Claiming      additional tax credits, removing tax credits mistakenly taken,

or recalculating the amount of the credits; and

Reporting    additional withholding – from a W2 or 1099.

We will gladly help you file your amendment. We will have your tax documents sorted and back in order in no time. Contact us!

Source:, William Perez on January 20, 2014