Available COVID-19 Resources
As the nation struggles with how to deal with the changes made in response to COVID-19, we encourage you to pay close attention to federal, state, and local authorities to see if they are rolling out benefits or prohibitions of which you need to be aware. Here are a few minimum steps we suggest you take:
- Stay up-to-date on the latest developments, which includes checking the websites of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and your local health departments.
- Maintain frequent communications with your employees, which includes instructing them to stay home if they feel sick, making sure they know how to recognize COVID-19 symptoms, implementing social distancing, and publishing official reminders about proper hygiene and other prevention tips against COVID-19.
- Consider curtailing business travel (even to currently low-risk locations)
Internal Revenue Service filing deadline remains April 15
On March 17, 2020, following the declaration of a national state of emergency, the Internal Revenue Service confirmed that taxpayers and business will have until July 15, 2020, to pay their taxes for the 2019 tax year, but the filing deadline remains April 15. Learn more at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus
California grants extension to file and pay
On March 18, 2020, the California Franchise Tax Board announced special tax relief for California taxpayers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Affected business and individual taxpayers are granted an extension to file 2019 California tax returns, and make certain payments, until July 15, 2020. Learn more at https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/covid-19/extensions-to-file-pay.html
Federal and State Government Resources:
- California’s Main Page for COVID-19 Updates (Spanish language available): https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx
- COVID-19 Guidance Documents, including guidance on public gatherings, entertainment venues, bars, restaurants, and nursing homes: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/New-Release-2020.aspx
Resources to Help Businesses and NonProfit Organizations Maintain Their Operations:
- SBA Disaster Loan Assistance information: https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/
- SBA resources for businesses: https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance.
- The California Office of the Small Business Advocate is available to help businesses identify resources and obtain answers to key questions (to the extent known): https://business.ca.gov/advantages/small-business-innovation-and-entrepreneurship/how-we-can-help/
- Fresno Regional WDB Business Services Center: http://www.fresnobsc.com/
- Fresno County EDC: https://www.fresnoedc.com/news-and-resource-news-and-updates/
- Small businesses looking for honest advice about business operations during the COVID-19 emergency can rely on the 70 business assistance centers operating throughout California. These business assistance centers offer free one-on-one business counseling, including the discussion of options for accessing capital: https://static.business.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2019-TA-Providers-Guide.pdf
- At California’s Small Business Finance Center, small businesses can access a range of financial products, including loan guarantees and direct loans: https://www.ibank.ca.gov/small-business-finance-center/
- Employers experiencing hardship as a result of COVID-19 may request up to a 60-day extension of time from the EDD to file their state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest. A written request for an extension must be received within 60 days from the original delinquent date of the payment or return. For questions, employers may call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center. Toll-free from the U.S. or Canada: 1-888-745-3886
- GO-Biz main COVID-19 resource webpage with links to the IBank, Small Business Advocate, State Treasurer, Labor and Workforce Agency, Franchise Tax Board, and Department of Tax and Fee Management: https://business.ca.gov/coronavirus-2019/
- For information about NonProfit’s Insurance coverage: https://calnonprofits.org/publications/article-archive/681-coronavirus-what-does-my-nonprofit-s-insurance-cover
Employer Guidance from California Labor Agency:
- Guidance on how to protect workers from exposure to COVID-19: https://www.labor.ca.gov/coronavirus2019/
- Guidance on reduced work hours, potential closures, and layoffs: https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm
Resources Available to Employees:
- Resources for workers: https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm.
- Summary chart with links to benefits available to workers: https://www.labor.ca.gov/coronavirus2019/#chart
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency’s primary website for COVID-19, including information on support services for workers and interim guidelines for protecting workers: https://www.labor.ca.gov/coronavirus2019/
Let us know how we can help you!