5 Critical Tax Tips For Nonprofits in 2019

No one enjoys filing taxes, but it can be especially problematic for nonprofits. Many nonprofits focus on their cause so much that they neglect proper organization. As a result, they deal with disorganized records and systems, and a lack of clarity around tax issues....


For a business owner, taxes can be overwhelming and cumbersome. Tax deductions allow you to save thousands of dollars each year on your taxes and make tax filing a much more bearable experience. In this post, we'll list some of the tax deductions you can use to...

The Smart Business Owner’s List Of Tax Credits

One of the best ways to cut costs as a business owner is to take advantage of all the tax deductions and tax credits for which you're eligible. As a business owner, you're concerned with the bottom line--increasing your net profits. That probably means you spend most...

PRESS RELEASE: Cassidy Jakovickas, CPA of Fresno, CA Appointed to Intuit’s Accountant Council

Select Panel Advises on Products and Services that Accountants and Their Clients Want Most             FRESNO, CALIFORNIA – June 4, 2019 –Today, Intuit, Inc (Nasdaq: INTU) announced that Cassidy...

Beyond The Numbers: What We’ve Been Reading

Although our team loves using numbers and spreadsheets to help our clients make the best financial decisions, we also enjoy reading great books. Staying well read on both fiction and non-fiction books helps us hone our imagination and introduces us to new, sometimes...

Looking Back At April

It’s hard to believe that we’re at the end of April, but it’s true! This month, we helped our clients wrap up another great (and busy) tax season. There was, as always, a lot of paperwork, emails, and nail-biting involved in the days preceding April 15, but that’s all...

5 Last-Minute Tips For Filing Taxes in 2019

Well, April 15 is almost here, and the tax-related panic is thick. If you haven’t filed your 2018 tax paperwork and are rushing to get your taxes in by the deadline, we’ve decided to give you some last-minute tax advice that will hopefully help ease your stress....

An Introduction To Cybersecurity for Business Owners

Keeping your sensitive business and customer data secure has never been more critical. Whether you are a small business or a national corporation, you can't relax your defenses against those criminals seeking to take advantage of lazy cybersecurity policies. Virtually...

March News Roundup

Wow! It seems like we just started March and we’re already moving into April! As we move into the final stretch of tax season, we’re recapping this month’s news for you, just in case you missed it amid the tax-related hubbub. MBS Accountancy: November Review This...

4 Key Changes To Depreciation Under The TCJA

As the Tax Cuts and Job Act (TCJA) continues to be unraveled by tax professionals, it’s important to review the changes and their implications on business operations and tax strategies. In this article, we’ll highlight TCJA’s changes to first-year bonus depreciation,...

5 Last-Minute Tips For Filing Taxes in 2019

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Well, April 15 is almost here, and the tax-related panic is thick. If you haven’t filed your 2018 tax paperwork and are rushing to get your taxes in by the deadline, we’ve decided to give you some last-minute tax advice that will hopefully help ease your stress.

Confirm Necessary Paperwork

The rush for the deadline may cause you to forget the paperwork you need to complete your business taxes. While you can find a list of business tax forms on the IRS website, here are some key documents.

S Corporations

If you have an S corporation, you’ll file the Form 1120S for the corporation’s income taxes and a Schedule K-1 for reporting each shareholder’s net earnings. For payroll, use the Form 940 to submit your FUTA payroll tax return and Form 941. If you have employees or contractors, report employee wages on Form W-2 and payments to contractors on Form 1099.

C Corporations

For C corporations, you’ll submit the Form 1120 for the corporate taxes and Form 940 for payroll taxes.

Limited Liability Corporations (LLCs)

Due to its hybrid nature, the tax forms for an LLC are determined by the number of members and its resulting classification as either a disregarded entity, partnership, or a corporation. If your LLC is classified as a disregarded entity, you’ll submit the Form 1040 along with a Schedule C or C-EZ, Schedule E, or Schedule F. For partnership LLCs, you’ll submit the standard Form 1065. If you’ve elected to be classified as either an S corporation or C corporation, you’ll file the Form 11020S or Form 1120 respectively.

Tax Help: Human Or Software?

Tax software can be helpful and more convenient during tax season, especially if you are just now starting to look for tax help. If you don’t already have a trustworthy tax preparer in mind, feel free to check out the directory of certified professional tax preparers available on the IRS website.

Use Your HSA Or IRA

If you have a traditional IRA account or HSA account, you can make contributions until April 15, lowering your gross income on your taxes. For traditional IRA accounts, the maximum amounts are $5,500 (for people under 50 years old) and $6,500 (for people 50 years or older). If you have an HSA account, you can set aside $3,450 for single plans or $6,900 for family coverage plans.

Don’t Forget About The Qualified Business Deduction

If you are a sole proprietorship, partnership, or an S corporation, you can deduct 20 percent of your business’ income from your taxes, provided your income is not above $157,500 (for single filers) or $315,000 (for married taxpayers filing jointly). If your income is above these thresholds, the deduction is still available but will begin to phase out.

Consider Extending Your Filing Deadline

If you don’t think you’ll have your tax paperwork together in time for an April 15 filing, you can request a six-month filing extension. You’ll use the Form 7004 to request a free tax filing extension. It’s worth noting that the extension only applies to tax filing deadlines, not tax payments. Opting for an extension means that you’ll need to estimate your taxes and pay by April 15 to avoid being penalized for paying late.

The main benefit of extending your deadline is to prevent any careless or rush-related mistakes. Frantically rushing to meet the April 15 deadline may cause you to forget important paperwork or make miscalculations that will increase your chances of an audit. By extending your filing deadline, you’ll give yourself some extra time to gather all the necessary paperwork and prevent rush-related mistakes.



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *