A Guide To Form 990 For Tax-Exempt Organizations

What is Form 990? Although many nonprofit organizations are exempt from paying federal taxes, the IRS requires tax-exempt organizations to file Form 990 for informational purposes. The IRS uses this informational return to determine whether you're still exempt from...

5 Critical Tax Tips For Nonprofits in 2019

No one enjoys filing taxes, but it can be especially problematic for nonprofits. Many nonprofits focus on their cause so much that they neglect proper organization. As a result, they deal with disorganized records and systems, and a lack of clarity around tax issues....


For a business owner, taxes can be overwhelming and cumbersome. Tax deductions allow you to save thousands of dollars each year on your taxes and make tax filing a much more bearable experience. In this post, we'll list some of the tax deductions you can use to...

The Smart Business Owner’s List Of Tax Credits

One of the best ways to cut costs as a business owner is to take advantage of all the tax deductions and tax credits for which you're eligible. As a business owner, you're concerned with the bottom line--increasing your net profits. That probably means you spend most...

PRESS RELEASE: Cassidy Jakovickas, CPA of Fresno, CA Appointed to Intuit’s Accountant Council

Select Panel Advises on Products and Services that Accountants and Their Clients Want Most             FRESNO, CALIFORNIA – June 4, 2019 –Today, Intuit, Inc (Nasdaq: INTU) announced that Cassidy...

Beyond The Numbers: What We’ve Been Reading

Although our team loves using numbers and spreadsheets to help our clients make the best financial decisions, we also enjoy reading great books. Staying well read on both fiction and non-fiction books helps us hone our imagination and introduces us to new, sometimes...

Looking Back At April

It’s hard to believe that we’re at the end of April, but it’s true! This month, we helped our clients wrap up another great (and busy) tax season. There was, as always, a lot of paperwork, emails, and nail-biting involved in the days preceding April 15, but that’s all...

5 Last-Minute Tips For Filing Taxes in 2019

Well, April 15 is almost here, and the tax-related panic is thick. If you haven’t filed your 2018 tax paperwork and are rushing to get your taxes in by the deadline, we’ve decided to give you some last-minute tax advice that will hopefully help ease your stress....

An Introduction To Cybersecurity for Business Owners

Keeping your sensitive business and customer data secure has never been more critical. Whether you are a small business or a national corporation, you can't relax your defenses against those criminals seeking to take advantage of lazy cybersecurity policies. Virtually...

March News Roundup

Wow! It seems like we just started March and we’re already moving into April! As we move into the final stretch of tax season, we’re recapping this month’s news for you, just in case you missed it amid the tax-related hubbub. MBS Accountancy: November Review This...

1099 Information

Call Us: (559) 421-7033

We all know that running a business is a lot of work with endless deadlines and reporting requirements to various agencies and vendors. 1099 reporting is one of these requirements that is coming up so we wanted to make sure it was on your radar. The IRS is getting more strict about this in an effort to collect more tax revenue. Although it’s not fun, it needs to be done! Below is some information to help you through the 1099 reporting season.

Form 1099 Reporting Requirements

Businesses, rental property owners and non-profit organizations are required to file Form 1099 information returns for payments made in the normal course of business of $600 or more in a year to businesses or individuals for rent and services performed for your business. Examples are payments to independent contractors, attorneys, graphics designers, web developers, cleaning services, consultants, etc.

Identify the Form 1099 recipients. A 1099 must be prepared for payments made for any service performed on your behalf in the course of your trade or business in the amount of $600 or more during the calendar year. You do not need to provide a 1099 to a non-profit entity or a corporation, with the exception of attorneys who are incorporated. Form 1099s must also be prepared for rents and interest you paid in the amount of $600 or more. This does not include interest you paid to financial institutions.

In order to obtain accurate information, the IRS developed Form W-9. This form is to be completed by the vendor and returned to you before you make any payments to that vendor. You will need to obtain a Form W-9 from all new vendors and from repeat vendors that have moved or changed their business entity type or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). If a vendor fails to return a completed Form W-9, you are required to withhold 28% of your payment(s). This “backup withholding” is required to be remitted to the IRS. Form W-9 can be obtained from the IRS (

Form W-9s should be obtained from all vendors, whether incorporated or not, as reporting requirements are scheduled to change in the future. The Form W-9s received should be retained on file for at least three years after you cease doing business with that vendor.

If the recipient of the 1099 is a sole proprietor (owner), the identification number they provide must match their name. In most cases, they will be providing their social security number. If the business operates using a “doing business as” name (DBA), the first line of the 1099 must be the owners name and the second line may reflect their DBA name. It is important the name matches the social security number or federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). If they do not match, the IRS will send you a letter identifying the inaccurate 1099 and may assess penalties.


If you are a sole proprietor and need to complete a Form W-9 for any of your customers or file a Form 1099 for any of your vendors, you will ordinarily be required to supply your social security number. To ensure the security of this sensitive identification information, you may wish to obtain a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). An EIN can be obtained free of charge directly from the Internal Revenue Service on the Service’s website ( or by using Form SS-4.

Calculate the total year-end dollar amount to be reported to the Internal Revenue Service.
Failure to file the forms and failure to provide accurate account numbers will result in a penalty for each unfiled or inaccurate return.


You must send recipients 1099s by January 31 and file copies with the IRS by January 31 regardless if you are paper filing or electronically filing.

Let us take care of your 1099s.

If you’re ready to move forward, get in touch with us and someone from our office will follow-up with you

Give us a Call
Request a Callback