A Guide To Form 990 For Tax-Exempt Organizations

What is Form 990? Although many nonprofit organizations are exempt from paying federal taxes, the IRS requires tax-exempt organizations to file Form 990 for informational purposes. The IRS uses this informational return to determine whether you're still exempt from...

5 Critical Tax Tips For Nonprofits in 2019

No one enjoys filing taxes, but it can be especially problematic for nonprofits. Many nonprofits focus on their cause so much that they neglect proper organization. As a result, they deal with disorganized records and systems, and a lack of clarity around tax issues....


For a business owner, taxes can be overwhelming and cumbersome. Tax deductions allow you to save thousands of dollars each year on your taxes and make tax filing a much more bearable experience. In this post, we'll list some of the tax deductions you can use to...

The Smart Business Owner’s List Of Tax Credits

One of the best ways to cut costs as a business owner is to take advantage of all the tax deductions and tax credits for which you're eligible. As a business owner, you're concerned with the bottom line--increasing your net profits. That probably means you spend most...

PRESS RELEASE: Cassidy Jakovickas, CPA of Fresno, CA Appointed to Intuit’s Accountant Council

Select Panel Advises on Products and Services that Accountants and Their Clients Want Most             FRESNO, CALIFORNIA – June 4, 2019 –Today, Intuit, Inc (Nasdaq: INTU) announced that Cassidy...

Beyond The Numbers: What We’ve Been Reading

Although our team loves using numbers and spreadsheets to help our clients make the best financial decisions, we also enjoy reading great books. Staying well read on both fiction and non-fiction books helps us hone our imagination and introduces us to new, sometimes...

Looking Back At April

It’s hard to believe that we’re at the end of April, but it’s true! This month, we helped our clients wrap up another great (and busy) tax season. There was, as always, a lot of paperwork, emails, and nail-biting involved in the days preceding April 15, but that’s all...

5 Last-Minute Tips For Filing Taxes in 2019

Well, April 15 is almost here, and the tax-related panic is thick. If you haven’t filed your 2018 tax paperwork and are rushing to get your taxes in by the deadline, we’ve decided to give you some last-minute tax advice that will hopefully help ease your stress....

An Introduction To Cybersecurity for Business Owners

Keeping your sensitive business and customer data secure has never been more critical. Whether you are a small business or a national corporation, you can't relax your defenses against those criminals seeking to take advantage of lazy cybersecurity policies. Virtually...

March News Roundup

Wow! It seems like we just started March and we’re already moving into April! As we move into the final stretch of tax season, we’re recapping this month’s news for you, just in case you missed it amid the tax-related hubbub. MBS Accountancy: November Review This...

10 Major Life Changes and How It Affects Your Taxes

Reading Time: 4 minutes











Source: Kevitivity, Flickr.

Having a baby? Getting married? Moving for a job? Major life milestones run the gamut of emotions — from thrilling and exciting to scary and sad. These life-changing events are even more unnerving when they’re unexpected, which might cause you to forget about how they’ll impact your taxes.

Major life changes come with a host of tax implications that will impact how you file, your benefits, and the tax bill you might receive. That’s why it’s important to understand how big life events might affect your taxes.

Here is a list of some of the tax changes that you should watch out for should you experience one of these major life milestones, like buying a house or getting a divorce.

1. Marriage

  • You will have to change your filing status. If you tied the knot before midnight on December 31, 2013 you have to file as either married filing jointly or married filing separately.


  • You can claim a new tax exemption and potentially adjust your paycheck withholding.


  • If you changed your last name, you’ll have to call the Social Security Administration to notify them.


2. Divorce

  • You will have to change your filing status. If you have no dependent children you can file as a single. If you have at least one dependent child you can file as head of household (providing that you meet the requirements).


  • If you file as a single, be sure to properly divide dependents, credits and deductions between you and your ex.


  • Dependent exemptions, childcare tax credits, child support payments and alimony may all have tax implications so be sure to look at what you’re eligible for.


3. Buying a house

  • Owning a home qualifies you for a bevy of tax benefits. Besides the mortgage interest deduction, you might qualify for other tax-deductible home expenses like points you paid when buying the house or improvements made for medical care. Look into what deductions you might qualify for or talk with a tax professional for help.


  • If you’re eligible, you can get a home office tax deduction or receive tax credits for energy-efficient houses.


  • You might also be able to deduct local property taxes paid each year.


4. Having a baby

  • With a new baby comes new tax breaks you can take advantage of. You can claim the baby as a dependent, and if you meet the requirements, your child could be eligible for an additional Child Tax Credit.


  • Make sure you get your child’s Social Security Number if you’re claiming him or her as a dependent on your tax return.


  • If you adopted a baby, you can take advantage of an adoption tax credit. Just be sure you have the child’s Social Security Number.


  • You might also qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is designed to help low and middle income earners.


  • You might also look into the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit if you pay a babysitter to watch your kid/s while you work.


5. Going to college

  • Continuing your education after high school could qualify you for tax benefits.


  • You could qualify for the American opportunity credit to pay for college expenses. It’s only available to students in their first four years of post-secondary school.


  • You might be able to claim an adjustment to income for qualified education expenses incurred.


  • If you pay interest on certain student loans you could be eligible for a deduction of up to $2,500 in interest.


  • You may be able to claim a lifetime learning credit of up to $2,000 for qualified education expenses. This credit can be claimed for education that’s not a degree program.


6. Losing a job

  • A loss in income might mean that you’ll find yourself in a lower tax bracket.


  • Remember that unemployment benefits are taxable because it’s considered income and must be reported on your federal tax return.


  • You might also be taxed on any severance pay you received, as well as any payment you received for accumulated vacation or sick time.


  • Your previous company is required to provide you with your W-2 by January 31 of the year after you leave the company.


  • Also, job search expenses are tax deductible.


7. Getting a new job

  • A new job means that you can adjust your income tax withholding.


  • If you had a retirement plan with your last company, you’ll have to decide what to do with it when you land a new job. Cashing in on your plan is likely taxable.


  • If you’re relocating for a new job, you can deduct some of the moving expenses that your new employer isn’t paying for (see below).


  • Also, you might be eligible for special employee tax deductions.


8. Moving out of state

  • Make sure that you check state residency rules. You might have to file as a part-time resident from the state you left and the one you moved to. Among the deductions that you might qualify for: amount paid to pack and store your household goods and amount it costs to travel from your old home to your new home.


  • You might also qualify for a deduction on moving expenses if the move is work-related and it passes certain tests measuring how far you moved and the amount of time you spent on the job.


9. Natural disaster 

  • If a federal disaster hits, you might be able to get a tax extension depending on the extent of the damage.


  • You can claim disaster-related casualty losses on your tax return and may deduct disaster-related personal property losses not covered by insurance. If you claim the loss for this year, you may get greater tax savings. If you claim the loss for last year and file an amended return, you’ll get an earlier refund.


10. Retirement

  • If you retire early and tap into your retirement account, you could be subject to an early withdrawal penalty.


  • As you take distributions from your retirement account, it could affect your tax bill. You might have to pay taxes on distributions from your traditional IRA and 401(k)s.


  • Roth account earnings are taxed when you withdraw as long as you wait to meet the requirements. But rolling your traditional retirement accounts into a Roth is taxable.


  • Don’t forget about Required Minimum Distributions, which will happen when you turn 70 ½. For tax-advantaged, qualified accounts (except a Roth IRA), you’ll have to take a certain distribution annually.


If any of these life changes have applied to your life this past year schedule an appointment with us. We will help you go through your finances.


Originally posted and shared from:, by Daryl Paranada, Februaury 9, 2014